Senate Meeting Minutes :: 5.9.19 :: Week 6

May 15, 2019

 

Minutes of the SCU Student Senate Meeting May 9th, 2019

Members Present:

Senate Chair Alex Perlman Pro-Tempore Mary Balestreri

Parliamentarian Ricky Matthews

First Year Senators:

Allie Bare Justin Chan Hiwad Haider Kate Padrnos Luke Paulson

Sophomore Senators:

Kyle Andrews Ciara Moezidis Nicholas Niehaus Robbie Nunes Sahil Sagar

Junior Senators:

Senior Senators:

Leif Allmeroth

Kayla Williams Rachel Wiggins

At-Large Senators:

Shivani Gohil

Nina Molanphy

Vidya Pingali

Jim O’Brien

Mika Philip

Raul Orellana

David Warne

Rory Pannkuk

Avery James

Eduardo Ruano

Alejandro Sugerr

Amber Wang

James Wang

 

Members Absent:

Claire Hultquist Eoin Lyons

 

  1. CALL TO ORDER

Senate Chair Alex Perlman called the May 9th, 2019 meeting of the Santa Clara University Student Senate to order at 7:00 pm in the Casa Italiana Commons.

 

Senate Chair Alex Perlman invited Sophomore Senator Robbie Nunes to recite the invocation.

 

  1. ROLL CALL

Pro-Tempore Mary Balestreri took roll at 7:01 pm.

 

  1. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA

Senate Chair Alex Perlman asked the Senate to consider the agenda for the current meeting. He requested questions and comments related to the agenda. Hearing none, he asked for a motion to approve the agenda. First-year Senator Allie Bare motioned to approve the agenda and At-large Senator Eduardo Ruano seconded the motion.

  1. APPROVAL OF THE PREVIOUS MINUTES

Senate Chair Alex Perlman asked the Senate to consider the previous meeting minutes and requested questions and comments related to the minutes. Hearing none, he asked for a motion to approve the minutes. At-large Senator Raul Orellana motioned to approve the minutes and At-large Senator Amber Wang seconded the motion.

 

  1. SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS

Guest Speaker Kelci Baughman McDowell

Senate Chair Alex Perlman invited Kelci Baughman McDowell, to present to the Senate on the history of the Associated Student Government.

 

  • Passing around scrapbook made by Leon Panetta in 1958-1959

  • Collect preserve and provide access to historical and rare materials

  • ASG Records found in group 5G

  • Earliest Records - Class of 1892

  • Highlights Elections 1983 Elections

  • ASG brought Ella Fitzgerald in 1981

  • ASG Hosted Spring Movies in 1980

  • Communism Symposium 1954

  • Potential research Topics: When and Why did ASSCU change its name to ASG, ASG, and Alchohol, Diversity and ASG, How have the types of events offered to evolve over time.

At-large Senator Nina Molanphy: Do you have archived information on the school's decision to disaffiliate with Greek Life?

Yes, a majority is open, but some of it restricted to 2021 or 2022.

 

Sophomore Senator Sahil Sagar: Why is it restricted?

To protect peoples identities. In some cases because the materials have confidential information. Some are from the Chicano resources it is confidently because of Social Security Numbers. We have to negotiate with the president's office on the embargo and we negotiated to 25 years. It can also be the terms of the people who transfer the materials.

 

First-year Senator Allie Bare: When and how is this information restricted?

The archives are only as good as what people give us. We need documents so that people in the future can do meaningful research. Preservation equals access.

 

Junior Senator Vidya Pingali: What is the juiciest part of the archives?

I went through communication and marketing archives and there was a big period of transition in the 1980s. There were letters of correspondence were very interesting. Lots of hires and fires.

 

 

First-year Senator Hiwad Haider: Would you recommend that ASG start handing over documents for preservation?

We want your stuff when you aren't using it anymore. Ideally, they will give everything they don't want anymore and make sure it gets disposed of correctly. Most info from your organization is coming through CSI. Make sure their office knows that you want your stuff to go to the archives.

 

Junior Senator David Warne: Does your job become more or less difficult with electronics, digitalization?

In my experience, most of our information is from the period before everything went digital. We don't have a digital archivist. We are working with people to get emails archived. I am feared that there will be a gap of information bc we couldn't cope with digital.

 

At-large Senator Rory Pannkuk: What led ASG to change their name?

A big factor could have been the school undergoing a name change, which happened three times. We would have to look to see when ASG changed its name to see if it corresponds.

 

  1. NEW BUSINESS

+1000 Summer Requests

First-year Senator Justin Chan: I feel like we may remember this in the near future, however; we may not remember this in the future, and begin to cushion.

 

Junior Senator Vidya Pingali: Are you trying to give more money to fewer clubs? Could you add an up to discretion?

Junior Senator David Warne: Generally, SAC strives to benefit as many students as possible. Sophomore Senator Sahil Sagar: Maybe take out the $5,000 and put in a phrase about being up to SAC’s discretion.

Junior Senator David Warne:We have a live clock of how much we have left and we are always aware of it.

First-year Senator Allie Bare: Should we still include first come first serve? Junior Senator David Warne: There is always a deadline.

Sophomore Senator Sahil Sagar: We don't need the amount of money. The deadline will deter people anyways.

Sophomore Senator Kyle Andrews: we still haven't solved the issues of next years budget. So this year’s SAC would be spending money for next year.

Junior Senator David Warne: Can we transfer money to the next fiscal year? Tedd Vanadilok: Leftover money goes to general University fund.

Junior Senator David Warne: Any money for the next fiscal year will come from the next year. Tedd Vanadilok: It will have to come before or after June 31st.

Junior Senator Mika Philip: If a club asked for a lot of money and it's on a first come first serve basis. If they take up most of the budget, would it be an unfair advantage?

At-large Senator Eduardo Ruano: What is the rationale for $3,000 and not lower.

 

 

Junior Senator David Warne: They will usually ask around $1,000 to $3,000 or $6,000 to

$20,000. Generally, small requests aren't bigger than $3,000. We can earmark out of next years budget some amount of money that we can pull from for these request. Put in the bylaws that we have $10,000 to give out for summer events and will operate on a first come first serve.

 

First-year Senator Hiwad Haider: You are mentioning academic and fiscal years. Is it still coming out of the fund for the years preceding?

Junior Senator David Warne: No. It comes out of the fyscal year. July 1 - June 30. We don't want to mix and match. I am okay with allocating a certain amount of next year’s budget for this year.

First-year Senator Allie Bare: When is the spring quarter cut off?

Do you remember last quarter when we have week 6 requests. Those will go up, but people don't have late events.

Sophomore Senator Kyle Andrews: Could we specify dates so its easier to keep track of? Junior Senator David Warne: SAC will use up to $10,000.

Sophomore Senator Sahil Sagar: For the $10,000 clause, we should say that we have up to

$10,000. We can only allocate what we have left over but it isn't guaranteed.

Sophomore Senator David Warne: We usually have around $10,000 almost every year. We can count on that.

Sophomore Senator Sahil Sagar: I don't want us to cushion for the $10,000 and stop allocation. First-year Senator Hiwad Haider: Is the number based off of precedent?

Vidya: if we allocate up to 10k then we have to allocate a bung of 1-2k request

 

Senior Senator Kayla Williams: There wouldn't be any +1000 presentations in spring quarter? Junior Senator David Warne: We never do. These people would present to SAC.

Senate Chair Alex Perlman: Usually +1000 are required to be voted on. All +1000 should present to Senate except for these? We could specify that these presentations are for SAC and voted on by SAC.

 

At-large Senator Jim O’Brien: Will people be requesting money for big grandiose events that require a lot of money. You said most of these happen in the early fall.

Junior Senator David Warne: people are mostly requesting money for conferences.

 

First-year Senator Allie Bare: If you have a smaller budget to start with, will you still have the

$10,000 left over.

Junior Senator David Warne: Allocations are on a basis only. When RSOs turn in their receipts, often times they won't spend as much as is granted to them. I track how much SAC gives out and then reassess how much is actually used later

First-year Senator Allie Bare: Wouldnt that mean that we still have money left over?

Junior Senator David Warne: This is a solution to the fact that many clubs have events in the late summer or early fall.

 

 

 

Sophomore Senator Kyle Andrews: Do we need to mention that it is from next years budget. We need a clause to say that it affects the next years and that we can’t use the money from this year.

Senate Chair Alex Perlman: We will vote on it next week and allow SAC to discuss this further. RSO Voting Guideline Bylaw

Voting and Discussion Next Week.

 

  1. OLD BUSINESS CSO budget proposals

No Comments or Concerns

Resolution in Support of Legislation in the CA State Assembly

 

Sophomore Senator Robbie Nunes: What’s the argument against this?

First-year Senator Hiwad Haider: I’m not really sure, but this would create a law allowing us to vote on campus.

 

Hearing no further questions, Senate Chair Alex Perlman called for a motion to vote. First-year Senator Allie Bare motioned to vote. Sophomore Senator Nick Niehaus seconded the vote.

Pro-tempore Mary Balestreri took roll and the resolution passed.

 

  1. COMMITTEE UPDATES

COMM: Last tabling with COMM May 17, Java with Jesuits with CUIC.

CUIC: Monday, May 13 Coming out as a queer person of color Part 2 and LSB Diversity Forum. FOC: No Updates

SAC: No Updates

 

  1. ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT

Senate Chair Alex Perlman called for a motion to adjourn the May 9th Senate meeting. Senior Senator Rachel Wiggin motioned to vote. Senior Senator Leif Allemeroth seconded the motion.

 

  1. ROLL CALL

Pro-tempore Mary Balestreri took roll at 8:13 pm

Please reload

Featured Posts

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive