Please reload

Recent Posts

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Featured Posts

Senate Meeting Minutes :: 10.5.17 :: Week 3

October 13, 2017

Minutes of the SCU Student Senate Meeting October 5, 2017

 

Members Present:

Senate Chair Aly Motzel              Parliamentarian Paul Armstrong                 Pro-Tempore Sam McNeal

Avery James                                 Annie Martin                                               Kayla Williams

Erik Echeona                                Mayron Mulugeta                                       Victoria Linares

David Warne                                Mackenzie Bartz                                          Nithya Vemireddy

Payton Dizney Swanson              Bjorn Thyrring                                             Amy Monzon

Duncan McDonell                        Angelica Fuentes                                         Helen Kassa

Alex Perlman                               Rahaima Choudhry                                      Rory Pannkuk

Gerome Yabut                              Thayne Kollmorgen                                     Jack Codiga

 

Absent:

Erik Echeona                                 John Ferrari

 

1. CALL TO ORDER

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel called the October 5, 2017 meeting of the Santa Clara University Student Senate to order at 7:35 pm in the Williman Room.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked a member to read the invocation. Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk recited the invocation.

 

2. ROLL CALL

 

Pro-Tempore Sam McNeal took roll at 7:40 pm.

 

3. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked the Senate to consider the agenda for the current meeting. She requested questions and comments related to the agenda. None were put forward, and the agenda was approved by Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes and seconded by Senior Senator Amy Monzon .

 

4. APPROVAL OF THE PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked the Senate to consider the agenda for the current meeting. She requested questions and comments related to the minutes. None were put forward, and the agenda was approved by Sophomore Senator David Warne and seconded by At-Large Senator Kayla Williams.

 

5. SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS

 

Senate Speaker: Ray Plaza, Director of Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion. (Presentation Attached).

  • 1985 had Unity 1 - The first explicit effort to focus on diversity and inclusion

  • 1991 had Unity 2

  • 1999 had Unity 3

  • 1999 Established Center for Multicultural Learning, was the precursor to OML in 2007

  • 2013 Created Office for Diversity and Inclusion

  • 2015 Unity 4

  • 2016 Father Engh established a Blue Ribbon Commission on Diversity and Inclusion

  • 2017 BRC reported shared in University in February of 2017

  • In March 2017 the University Coordinating Committee established and appointed a Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion to review the BRC report and provide feedback

  • The committee had 38 recommendations and 175 strategies

  • It will be a process to take the revised recommendations and report and submit it to the council

  • 2017 Task Force report completed in July and available to community in 2017

  • 2017 appointment of Project Manager to guide the implementation process

  • Spotlight: Campus Climate Study - Formal survey in week 2 of the Winter quarter. It is

an opportunity for all members of the University community to provide feedback with

the goal of getting as much participation as possible to help guide the next steps.

 

Questions:

Senior Senator Mayron Mulugeta - What is Father Engh’s timeline?

Answer: It will take 3 to 4 years for the whole process to be completed. Many presentations to relevant parts of the university have to be done before we can even begin to implement the planned changes.

 

Senior Senator Mayron Mulugeta - Will all organizations mentioned in the report have to be consulted with before taking the plan to Father Engh?

Answer: Yes, consult with them first and get it in manageable chunks and keep it all moving forward

 

At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - How will the survey work?

Answer: The entire campus will get it online and will be anonymous to keep the answers honest. We will also have the option for paper survey. Have language barriers addressed

 

Senior Senator Thayne Kollmorgen - How will you adjust for a skew on the people who respond?

Answer: Our goal is to get above 30%, at other schools you get about 40 to 60 percent. Next year the whole campus will get the report.

 

Senior Senator Amy Monzon - How will this survey be presented to the students?

Answer: I am working with the Office for Marketing and Communication. We will have a whole website for the climate survey.

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel closed the discussion and thanked Ray Plaza for his presentation.

 

6. EXECUTIVE BRANCH UPDATES

Public Relations VP Maggie Hurlbut - Please send in your photo for the website. I have sent out a Google form with for clothing sizes, please fill it out. Please continue to share the content from ASG on Facebook and Instagram.

 

Community Development VP Elena Radding - I have finalized a draft in first year chair positions and we will vote on it at the end of the quarter. Lester Dean will speak on November 2nd at 7:30 PM. Tarren is meeting with schools to coordinate with Santa Clara athletics, maybe planning to have one of our teams play with the elementary school kids to mentor them.

Finance VP Ben Rhoades - We have no debt to repay for this year.

Chief Justice Rachel Brooke Herzog - I am reviewing the bylaws pertaining to office hours and

Be Heard. I am also preparing for the tenants rights workshop for off-campus living.

Vice President Sam Perez - We have had good turnout for freshman election info sessions.

The Ad Hoc Committee for Bridge The Gap will meet this week.

President Jack Herstam - Please fill out the survey on our facebook page to gauge need for gender neutral bathrooms. The UPC voted to possibly allow alcohol for student over the age of 21 at games. I will keep you updates as SCU continues to evaluate. There will be an NURC meeting on Monday October 16th at 7:30. I am keeping in contact with Mayor Gilmore and Councilwoman Davis. There is also a demonstration for visual arts, if anyone would like to attend and write a testimonial, talk to me.

7. COMMITTEE UPDATES

COMM Chair Amy Monzon - Be Heard will be this Friday from 1:00-3:00 PM

CUIC Chair Jelly Fuentes - We are continuing to work on getting CAPS online and QPR training for orientation. We are also working on a student housing union. We will hold Bronco ball on Friday November 3rd at Locatelli. It will have a philanthropic aspect, possibly selling shirts or something else.

FOC Chair Alex Perlman - Ad hoc Committee for Ecopass has been formed and it is led Sophomore Senator Helen Kassa .

Sophomore Senator Helen Kassa gave a brief presentation on the committee. It is working towards providing free bus passes for students on the VTA. It will be twelve extra dollars per quarter and will provide unlimited rides on buses and trains, and would be a good step for sustainability. The committee is also working with the VTA to improve routes.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - Is the twelve dollars and Ecopass on an opt-in basis? Answer: It would not be on on an opt in basis because they have to purchased ahead of time and in bulk for the entire school. The mission of the entire project is to change the culture of transportation on campus.

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - Have you done any kind of marketing research on campus? Answer: I sent out a poll last year and 90% of 500 students said they would use it.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - Would this go approval through ASG or administration?

Answer: We are meeting with administrators because the contract goes through the Bursar's Office.

SAC Chair Davide Warne - We discussed four plus 1,000 dollar funding requests and funded five small requests.

8. NEW BUSINESS

RSO Status Proposals

Senate Chair Aly Motzel announced that the senate would now review new RSO proposals. She asked that questions be limited to four per presentation and that additional concerns could be addressed via email if need be. asked Sophomore Senator David Warne to briefly explain what the presentations would include. He said that presentations will be under 5 minutes and that the senate should focus on the constitutions if they have concerns. (All proposed RSO constitutions are attached).

Student Art League Club Proposal

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked the Student Art League Club to present for the senate. Kieran Friedman gave a presentation that laid out the focus of the club and why it merited RSO status. He said of the proposed club:

  • It would connect student artists

  • It would rebrand and restart an older club because we have a brand new art building and we have a chance to use that momentum

  • It would organize trips to SF MOMA, Bruce Beasley Studio, First Fridays on campus

  • Gallery in the garden show on campus, Fall Show opens tomorrow at 5 PM

  • The Art Club or Drawing Club have fallen apart and are more specific so we have created this new club

  • Ryan Carrington and Julie Hughes will be faculty advisors from the art department

  • It will meet the needs of artists and art historians

  • We have 170 people on our mailing list

  • Tabling got us 50 people in one afternoon

  • All people are welcome if they are interested in art

  • It has a clear and direct constitution

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Student Art League Club.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - What funding might you request?

Answer: It depends on what the members want to do. We can paint murals to raise funds. However, we might need funding for field trips to places that are farther away. An LA trip, for example.

 

Pre-Health Professionals Club

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Student Art League Club and Kieran Friedman for his presentation and invited the Pre-Health Professionals Club to present for the senate. Kira Palazzo and Laura Hollison gave a presentation that laid out the focus of the club and why it merited RSO status. They said of the proposed club:

  • It is a national fraternity and are currently in the colonization process, PHPC would get letters after colonization process

  • We have been approved through the national chapter and if made an RSO they would rush in the spring

  • The organization was founded in New York in 1996 as a resource for pre-health students to network socially and professionally

  • Our mission - Service activities, Fundraising, Outreach, and health oriented workshops

  • It would promote diversity in healthcare

  • There is a pre-health club on campus, but it did not meet once last year and is only an email list

  • This club would be a higher commitment with national member dues and strong alumni network

  • We would host blood drives on campus,have food basket collection for homeless, provide healthcare volunteering opportunities at UC Davis, facilitate animal rescue missions, do crafts for cancer patients, and help members prepare for all entrance exams

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Pre-Health Professionals Club.

At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - Is the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) on campus active?

Answer: We have reached out to them, they said they are not as active as well and some of their members would like to join this club.

At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - Do you have the support of the pre-health advisor? Answer: Yes we do, Dr. Stevens would the current advisor.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - Do you anticipate all of AMSA and the pre-health club join your club?

Answer: Not all of them, but a significant amount.

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - How much are dues? Answer: They are $50 per quarter

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Pre-Health Professionals Club and ira Palazzo and Laura Hollison for their presentation and invited the West Side Swing Club to present for the senate.

 

West Side Swing Club

 

Club President Morgan gave a presentation that laid out the focus of the club and why it merited RSO status. They said of the proposed club:

  • Showed a video of Morgan demonstrating what West Side Swing dancing looks like

  • It would teach social skills through meeting new people and competitions

  • The dance originated on the east coast

  • It would cater to all students regardless of previous dancing experience

  • Have well over 15 students interested

  • Would have workshops for 2 hours in the Malley Center every two or three weeks, after that we would have social nights every few months on campus

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the West Side

Swing Club.

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - Where would dances be held?

Answer: In either of the two dance rooms in the music hall or in the Malley Center.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - You need a succession of powers in the club. Who would take over after Morgan next year?

Answer: I would step down as president, but I would still be teaching and be there.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - How much interest is there? Answer: There are roughly 25 people with confirmed interest.

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - What kind of funding would you need to request? Answer: The only time we would need to would be to hire a professional teacher at some point, but not anytime soon.

SCU Mindfulness Club Proposal

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the West Side Swing Club and Morgan for their presentation and invited the SCU Mindfulness Club to present to the senate.

 

SCU Mindfulness Club

 

Alex Perlman and Francie McCall gave a presentation that laid out the focus of the club and why it merited RSO status. They said of the proposed club:

  • Our main goal is to create a community that educates people on mental and physical health

  • There is high interest, we had a yoga event last year that had high turnout

  • It would be a space for student led health outreach

  • The officers would consist of a president, a vice president and a treasurer to oversee the RSO

  • It would also have a council that would aid in planning events like inviting yoga instructors and nutritionists to hold classes. They would interview for officer approval

  • There would be weekly meetings for council members and officers, not for participants

  • Events would consist of: yoga classes, nutritionist guest speakers, meditation classes etc.

  • Have certified yoga instructors interested in providing free sessions

  • Would collaborate with Into the Wild and SCCAP. With Into the Wild they have expressed interest in having yoga on their trips. We will also talk to campus recreation and the wellness center

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the SCU

Mindfulness Club.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - Will there be conflict with the Malley Center?

Answer: Currently you cannot have yoga classes on campus because the Malley Center charges money to have them. They would happen off campus until we talk to Janice at the Malley Center.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - How will the club stay up to date with changing health studies?

Answer: We will have continuous education on new changes, but having exercise and promoting mental health will stay consistent.

At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - What kind of funding will you need? Answer: We would need to request funds for cooking events.

 

SCU Competition A Cappella Club Proposal

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the SCU Mindfulness Club, Alex Perlman and Francie McCall for their presentation and invited the SCU Competition A Cappella Club to present to the senate. Taylor Yamanel gave a presentation that laid out the focus of the club and why it merited RSO status. She said of the proposed club:

  • Mission is to get students together to make music and compete

  • Would compete in ICCA International Competition for Collegiate A Cappella

  • There is the SCU A Cappella Club on campus, but it is not for competing

  • Would give students an outlet for growing themselves

  • Would have two meetings a week to start, increase time as we get closer to competitions

  • We cannot compete in the ICCA this year because we will not be ready by the deadline, but will do smaller competitions

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the SCU Competition A Cappella Club.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - How much student interest is there?

Answer: We are working with SCU A Cappella to get started, getting new students and getting the word out. We have about 15 people interested and there are 15 to 19 people in a A Capella group.

Senior Senator Amy Monzon - How is it separate from SCU A Cappella?

Answer: That club is spreading the word for our club and the current head of the club wants to have two separate clubs to keep funding separate.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - Wouldn’t it be better to just combine the two?

Answer: The current club said that the competition group would need more funding.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - What kind of funding do you anticipate needing?

Answer: Some of the smaller competitions cost $150 to audition and it costs $250 for ICCA.

 

Mock Trial Club Proposal

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the SCU Competition A Cappella Club and Taylor Yamanel for her presentation and invited the Mock Trial Team to present to the senate. Maria Parker and Mary Balestri gave a presentation that laid out the focus of the club and why it merited RSO status. They said of the proposed club:

  • 600 teams every year compete at American Mock Trial Association (AMTA) competitions and at college mock trial teams are the norm

  • Would establish a mock trial team

  • Would register SCU with the AMTA

  • Would educate students on the legal system

  • Would provide expertise of real trial lawyers

  • Competition would be in late february

  • Co-captains and coach will be from the law school

  • Competition team and non-competition team

  • Captains will be elected every year

  • $100 club fee for comp team to travel in the winter quarter

  • Preliminary faculty advisor Lisa Copatos

  • 25 + students interested

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Mock Trial Club.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - How will you restrict the club size?

Answer: There are students who are new or can’t make all the meetings. There will be ten people on the competition team, but no limit on the non competition team

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - What amount of funding do you anticipate needing? Answer: We will need more than normal this year for registration fees. It is $775 dollars to register and we will need funding for trips.

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - Will coaches cost you money?

Answer: We will reach out to the local law community and they are almost always very willing and helpful. That is how most mock trial teams approach having a volunteer coach.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Mock Trial Team , Maria Parker and Mary Balestri for their presentation.

 

 

+1,000 Dollar RSO Funding Requests

Sophomore Senator David Warne gave a rundown of SAC bylaws (attached).

 

Global Medical Brigades Funding Proposal

Senate Chair Aly Motzel invited Global Medical Brigades and Marta Gil-Antunano (co-president) and Parwan Khazi (treasurer) to present their proposal to the senate. Their presentation laid out the total cost of their event, the reason they need funding, what the money will go to, and exactly how much funding they need. (Presentation attached).

  • Going to Nicaragua for a nine day medical aid trip after this school year ends

  • 35 undergrads will go with two adult chaperones

  • We will provide healthcare to rural areas

  • We are an aggregate of social change

  • Trip total cost is $84,050

  • We are requesting $6,500 and will raise the rest ourselves

  • This is only a request of 500 extra dollars for two more days compared to the funding we received last year

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Global Medical Brigades.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - Is there any part of the funding request that you would be able to part with?

Answer: No, this is what we have decided we need. We are asking for the bare minimum.

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - What are you fundraising plans?

Answer: We have had two school fundraisers, but most people raise personal funds for themselves and some people pay out of pocket. I personally raised money through free photography and asking for donations.

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - Why do you need charter buses to the airport? Is there a better or cheaper way?

Answer: Yes, this is the most reliable way to get to the airport, because we have to get everyone there at the same time to make the flight and deal with any problem that arise.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - Is the 35 members set?

Answer: Yes, that is the ideal number and we are working to confirm people right now.

 

Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Global Medical Brigades, Marta Gil-Antunano, and Parwan Khazi for their presentation. She then invited the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers to present their proposal. Club members Isaac and AJ gave a presentation that laid out the total cost of their event, the reason they need funding, what the money will go to, and exactly how much funding they need. (Presentation attached).

  • The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) is the largest technical career conference for Hispanics in this country

  • It offers networking, workshops, recruiters, and comprehensive growth for students

  • It is November 1st through November 5th in Kansas City, Missouri

  • We are taking 8 qualified members of SHPE SCU

  • The total cost of the trip is $3325.20

  • We are requesting $1,330

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. No questions were asked.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Isaac, and AJ for their presentation. She then invited the Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society to present their funding request. Club member Justin Meeken gave a presentation that laid out the total cost of their event, the reason they need funding, what the money will go to, and exactly how much funding they need.

  • The convention is a yearly convention

  • We want to make chapter visible at a national level

  • It would help us learn how to improve our events and get our paperwork in order

  • Total requesting $1,292

  • We are funded by SCU’s School of Engineering and the Nation Engineering Honor Society, but School of Engineering funding is contingent on this RSO request

  • This event will help us organize and increase our membership and impact on SCU

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society.

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - What do you mean by contingent? What are the conditions? Answer: The school of engineering had to pay some some of the costs up front, but they do not have the money to fund the whole trip and fund our other events for the rest of the year.

Parliamentarian Paul Armstrong - Why are two people staying an additional night?

Answer: Two people stay the Wednesday night before the convention starts and everyone else comes in on Thursday morning.

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - Are all of you men and could you all stay in one room? Answer: No, but we also had to go through Tau Beta Pi booking and it only allows two people per room.

Senior Senator Gerome Yabut- What happens if you don’t get funding from ASG?

Answer: We would not get any other funding for the rest of the year from the engineering school because they would have spent all of the money allocated to our club for the rest of the school year.

 

Society of Women Engineers 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society and Justin Meeken for his presentation. She then invited the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) to

present their funding request. Their presentation laid out the total cost of their event, the reason they need funding, what the money will go to, and exactly how much funding they need. (Presentation attached).

  • Women Engineers 2017 National Conference in Austin,Texas in November

  • It is not exclusive to engineers, it facilitates networking across all professions

  • Going to this conference would allow us to hear about others experiences and go to

workshops on technical skills

  • We can bring these skills and lessons back to santa clara

  • The total trip cost is $8731.85

  • Requesting $3492.74

  • The rest will come from the engineering school or our personal fund

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Society of Women Engineers.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - Do you need the funding for a dinner?

Answer: Not necessarily, but it is important to us and would be good way to get together to share our learning experiences

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - Are you fully funded otherwise by the School of Engineering? Answer: We rely heavily on engineering, but we have had bake sales and we can do small things like that to raise funds.

Senior Senator Amy Monzon - Can you explain the bonding experience?

Answer: We will attend the conference Thursday, Friday and a half day on Saturday. We would like to do a walking tour at the end to reflect on the conference.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - You requested more on the funding form, why has it changed?

Answer: The estimate we had was high so we are requesting less than requested. The flights and hotels are cheaper than expected.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Society of Women Engineers for their presentation.

 

Senate Recording Discussion

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked for comments and discussion on how to handle the recording of senate meetings.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Do we want to have our meetings recorded and then make them public.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - Will the be made accessible to everyone or just the university?

ASG Faculty Advisor Tedd Vanadilok - Anyone.

Sophomore Senator Avery James - Would they have to be posted on a weekly basis? Who

would record them?

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We won’t be taping our meetings, but someone else would, like

SCU Media Services.

ASG Faculty Advisor Tedd Vanadilok - We used to do that and archive them in the library.

At-Large Senator Rahaima Choudry - Would everyone have to approve of being recorded?

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We get to decide, but I would like to have a majority vote to approve being recorded.

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - Could you recuse yourself?

ASG Faculty Advisor Tedd Vanadilok - Yes.

Senior Senator Thayne Kollmorgen - It would encourage openness, we want people to hear what we are saying.

Senior Senator Amy Monzon - if the video is edited by an outside party, it could be amde to look people bad

ASG Faculty Advisor Tedd Vanadilok - People can edit it however they want, but we have the original copy to show what really was said.

At-Large Senator Rahaima Choudry - We don’t need to record to be transparent because it would be unfair to the people who don’t want to record it.

Senior Senator Mayron Yabut - Are we going to vote on day by day basis?

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - No, we are trying to establish how senate will handle recordings of

meetings for the future.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We won’t vote tonight. I will confer with Pro-Tempore Sam

McNeal and Parliamentarian Paul Armstrong and then come back to senate.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - What if we didn’t allow outside recordings, but had

student media film us and then distribute weekly. It would be a good way to engage people.

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - When you are being recorded publicly you can be made to look bad, but we all signed up for ASG. Students might view a denial of recording as an attack on free speech or could make us look bad.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Would anyone from exec like to voice their opinion?

President Jack Herstam - I just read what congress uses. Individuals who have a permit can

film, maybe we could only allow media services to film but anyone can view it.

ASG Faculty Advisor Tedd Vanadilok - You could approve only a few people with press

passes and the ability to record.

Vice President Sam Perez - I think we are addressing this because of Turning Point USA. I was

recorded and my clip was made public.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - I will table this discussion and come back next week to finish it and

vote. Feel free to reach out to me or to Tedd if you have any questions.

 

8. OLD BUSINESS

 

RSO Status Review and Voting

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Before I open the floor to discussion, I have an update on the $300 that RSO’s receives. It comes from attending an RSO training class every quarter and the money comes from the school, not out of our RSO budget.

Art Club

At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - It sounds awesome to me.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked if there were any more comments on the Art Club. Hearing none she added the club to the list of clubs to vote on at the end of the discussion.

Pre-Health Professionals Club

Senior Senator Gerome Yabut - It sounds like a good idea.

Chief Justice Rachel Brooke Herzog - There are some active clubs for pre-health, I think we should look into those before voting

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We will table the discussion until next week and reach out to the other Pre-Health Clubs.

West Side Swing Club

Senior Senator Thayne Kollmorgen - What is their plan for succession? Senate Chair Aly Motzel - They can dissolve at any point.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked if there were any more comments on the Pre-Health Professionals Club. Hearing none she added the club to the list of clubs to vote on at the end of the discussion.

SCU Mindfulness Club

Vice President Sam Perez - It overlaps with peer health educators so I would like to talk to

Lisa Joiner before we approve it.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We will table the discussion until next week and reach out to the

other Lisa Joiner.

Competitive A Cappella Club

Parliamentarian Paul Armstrong - If the sole purpose is to evenly distribute funding then I don’t see a problem approving the club.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - It can be evenly distributed within the club without maing two separate clubs.

Parliamentarian Paul Armstrong - They have the non-competition clubs backing already so there is no reason to not approve them.

At-Large Senator Rahaima Choudry - I think it makes sense to have it separate because it separates the teams.

Senior Senator Amy Monzon - Can we ask them to have a tangible number of interested members before we vote?

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We will table the discussion until next week and reach out to the club to ask for a list of interested members.

Own It

Senate Chair Aly Motzel announced that Own It did not have to give a presentation, but that it is a women’s summit leadership event here at SCU. It happened last year and was successful. They need RSO status to get funding. She asked if anyone had any questions or concerns. Hearing none, she added it to the list of club to vote on at the end of the discussion.

Pool Club and Bridge the Gap

Sophomore Senator David Warne - In regards to tabled club discussion from last week: The pool club was tabled because we thought we would need RSO Lite, but we are past that and Bridge the Gap has support from Christina Guzman at OML and they gave a supporting quote and has endorsement from the College Republicans Club.

At-Large Senator Rahaima Choudry - How politically diverse is his board?

At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - it has one Democrat, one Republican and one Independent.

Vice President Sam Perez - The Bridge the Gap Club would not infringe on our ad hoc committee. There is always more work to be done.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - Does the pool club need a charter if they can’t reserve pool tables?

Senior Senator Amy Monzon - I don’t see that as a problem because the students are free to use the tables.

At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - I don’t have a problem with that.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked if there were any more comments on the Pool Club or the Bridge the Gap Club. Hearing none, she added both clubs to the list of clubs to vote on at the end of the discussion.

Coders Club

Sophomore Senator David Warne - We did not get constitution from the Coders Club.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We will table the discussion until next week and reach out to the Coders Club for their constitution.

Skills for Good Club

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Any comments on the Skills for Good incubator?

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - Did they ever talk about more specific projects?

Sophomore Senator David Warne - I have reached out to them, but they have not responded?

Junior Senator Henry Asch - They did give us some examples in the presentation, they could definitely help off campus housing and help our community.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked if anyone had any more questions or concerns about the Skills for Good Club. Hearing none, she added it to the list of clubs to put on the white ballot. She then asked for a motion to white ballot the Mock Trial Club, the Own It Club , the Bridge the Gap Club, the Art League Club, and the West Side Swing Club. The motion to white ballot was made by At- Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring and seconded by Sophomore Senator David Warne . The motion to vote was made by Sophomore Senator Helen Kassa and was seconded by Senior Senator Amy Monzon. The motion passed and the Mock Trial Club, the Own It Club , the Bridge the Gap Club, the Art League Club, and the West Side Swing Club were given RSO charters.

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked for a motion to vote on the Pool Club. The motion to vote was made Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell and seconded by Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes .The motion passed and the Pool Club was given an RSO charter.

+1,000 Dollar Funding Requests

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked for comments about the funding requests and explained that SAC will take our concerns into account, but will come back next week with recommendations and then we will vote.

At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - The Global Medical Brigades Club is great but they don’t bring anything back to SCU.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - I will send them an email saying that they have a duty to SCU as well.

Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - I agree, but that is a significant amount of money.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - Last year they asked for $33,000 and we gave them a

total of $5,750. This is only slightly more and some would come from the Santa Clara fund.

At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - How normal is it for us to fund entertainment?

Sophomore Senator David Warne - We don’t have to fund that and we don’t normally do that or food. We will address that in our recommendations.

10. ANNOUNCEMENTS SAUPC Update

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We discussed the NCAA alcohol policy so those over 21 can consume at games, does anyone have any concerns?

At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - Would it just be in the stadium area?

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Yes, we would have a trial run at baseball and basketball games.

Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonell - Do we have to go through Bon Apetit?

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Yes because they are the ones liable, not the school

Senior Senator Gerome Yabut - It would help school spirit.

Senior Senator Amy Monzon - I think it is a good idea so that we can have tailgates.

Senior Senator Gerome Yabut - Can we use our meal points?

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Jack Herstam and I sit on that committee so I can address any concerns and I will ask about meal points.

Parliamentarian Paul Armstrong - On another note, senate does start at 7:00 PM so be here on time and make sure you present yourself well.

11. ROLL CALL

Pro-Tempore Sam McNeal took roll at 10:00 PM.

12. ADJOURNMENT

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Adjournment was approved by At-Large Senator Kayla Williams and seconded by Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk . Aly called the October 5, 2017 meeting of the Santa Clara University Senate to a close at 10:00 PM.

 

 

Please reload

Follow Us
Please reload

Search By Tags