Senate Meeting Minutes :: 9.28.17 :: Week 2

October 5, 2017

Minutes of the SCU Student Senate Meeting September 28, 2017

 

Members Present:

Senate Chair Aly Motzel              Parliamentarian Paul Armstrong           Pro-Tempore Sam McNeal

Bjorn Thyrring                              Annie Martin                                             Kayla Williams

Erik Echeona                                Mayron Mulugeta                                      Victoria Linares

David Warne                                 Thayne Kollmorgen                                  Amy Monzon                      

Angelica Fuentes                         Alex Perlman                                            Nithya Vemireddy

Payton Dizney Swanson             Jack Codiga                                               Duncan McDonnell

Helen Kassa                                 Rahaima Choudhry                                  Gerome Yabut

 

Absent:

Mackenzie Bartz                          Rory Pannkuk                                            Avery James

John Ferrari

 

1. CALL TO ORDER

Senate Chair Aly Motzel called the September 28, 2017 meeting of the Santa Clara University
Student Senate to order at 7:30 pm in the Williman Room.

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked a member to read the invocation. All senior senators led the invocation.

 

2. ROLL CALL
Pro-Tempore Sam McNeal took roll at 7:35 pm.

 

3. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked the Senate to consider the agenda for the current meeting. She requested questions and comments related to the agenda. None were put forward, and the agenda was approved by Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes and seconded by At-Large Senator Erik Echeona .

 

4. APPROVAL OF THE PREVIOUS MINUTES
Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked the Senate to consider the agenda for the current meeting. She requested questions and comments related to the minutes. None were put forward, and the agenda was approved by At-Large Senator Kayla Williams and seconded by At-Large Senator Erik Echeona .

 

5. SPECIAL ORDERS OF BUSINESS

 

Solomon Code of Ethics Presentation
Tedd Vanadilok gave a brief presentation on ethics for senators. The presentation is attached.

 

CommDev Spirit Chair Feedback Request
Community Development Chair Cameron Courtmeyer opened up a dialogue about starting
a freshman tradition on campus. She explained a few of her ideas: a letter from your first year self where write about your experiences in your first year and you get your letter back on the day of your senior toast,a presentation on the Bronco where we bring in a pony, ”lil bucky,” to start off the year, Bronco Brawl - family feud for RLCs, clubs etc, based on SCU trivia, deck the palms for Christmas that includes acappella and a party. She then opened the discussion up for contributions and other ideas.

 

At-Large Senator Payton Swanson - We could have a first night midnight swim with all the freshman.
Senior Senator Amy Monzon - We could have a senior sunrise and sunset.
Sophomore Senator David Warne - We could encourage more interaction between RLC’s with bronco olympics.

Senior Senator Amy Monzon - We could walk a horse or something onto the field at a game.

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - CUIC does a tree lighting thing, we could collaborate to light trees all across campus.

 

RSO Status Proposals

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked Sophomore Senator David Warne to briefly explain what the presentations would include. He said that presentations will be under 5 minutes and that the senate should focus on the constitutions if they have concerns. (All proposed RSO constitutions are attached).

 

Pool Club RSO Proposal
Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked the Pool Club to present for the senate. James Dameris gave a presentation that laid out the focus of the pool club and why it merited RSO status. He said of the proposed club:

  • It would organize tournaments and bring people together

  • It would include casual and competitive players into one club

  • It would meet once every three weeks to view seasonal rankings, schedule everyday

    matches,and organize school tournaments

  • It would use rankade.com to have a school ladder because when people are given a ranking and are in a competitive they stay in the club

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for James Dameris and the Pool Club.
At-Large Senator Payton Swanson - What pool tables would you use?
Answer - The Xavier RLC and benson tables. Would work on a way to schedule and reserve tables.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - How much interest is there?
Answer - 20 people in my RLC
Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - What expenses do you expect?
Answer - We shouldn’t have any because the school provides all the equipment

Senior Senator Angelica Fuentes - How will the rankings work?

Answer - You have a base rank that quickly adjusts.
At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - Have you established a list of confirmed people?
Answer - I have about 20 people interested.
At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - Do you have a faculty advisor? You could use Faculty Director in Xavier
Answer - No, but I will look into that.
At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - What about casual players? Will the ladder discourage them?
Answer - No, we will have have two ranking systems
Senior Senator Gerome Yabut - How would off campus people play?
Answer - The biggest problem would be infringing on pool players outside of the club who want to use the tables, but we will share with them.

 

Forge Garden Club RSO Proposal
Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Pool Club and James Dameris for his presentation and invited the Forge Garden Club and Evie, Lois and Sammi to present. Their presentation described the club:

  •  It would promote a connection to food, healthy eating, awareness of the garden in general, sustainable practices, and connect people to nature

  • There would be five official meetings each quarter, two volunteer days in the garden per month, and would organize group volunteering

  • Events would include cook outs, ice cream making workshop, crafting event every quarter, painting a pot, etc.

  • They would also like to organize picnics or visits to a farm

  • They would organize study hours in the garden

  • Staff Advisor is Katharine Rondthaler, the current garden manager

  • 30 students have joined their mailing list and they had an informational night that was

    open to graduate and undergraduate students

  • They had a garden hangout and 4 people came and expressed interest from their

    friends

  • Officer election will hold quorum with 2⁄3 vote

  • Self nominations would be allowed and active term limit is one year

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for Evie, Lois and Sammi and the Forge Garden Club.

At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - Will club events be added on to Forge Garden events?

Answer - Yes, but we will get more students involved

Sophomore Senator David Warne - Have you spoken to Forge Garden?
Answer -Yes, it was Kathryn’s idea.
Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonnell - What kind of funding do you need?
Answer - We will not need a lot. We would like a budget for crafting and for ingredients when we have cook outs. We can charge a small fee for events, but eventually we want to get a budget.

At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - How do you plan on sustaining members?
Answer - Right now we have consistent membership at Forge garden, it’s just low. We can keep members, but this club would add members.

 

Golf Club RSO Proposal
Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Evie, Lois and Sammi and the Forge Garden Club for their presentation and invited the Golf Club represented by Ryan Blair and Colin Alexander to present. Their presentation described the club:

  • Open to anyone, all skill levels, play every two weeks

  • Have scouted Shoreline Golf Links, San Jose municipal, Santa Clara G and T Club

  • Meetings once a month, solely informational

  • Coordinate tee times online

  • Would like to eventually divide players by skill

  • Coordinate with NCCGA eventually and become a club team

  • Fundraisers for green fees and transportation

  • Representation of all people

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Golf Club.

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - What is the cost per person?
Answer - San Jose twilight, 15 a person
At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - Membership dues?

Answer - Would may have them once we are established
At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - Do you have people commited?
Answer - We have 20 people
Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonnell - What kind of funding will you be requesting?

Answer - We don’t need anything.

 

Bridge the Gap RSO Proposal
Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Golf Club and Ryan Blair and Colin Alexander for their presentation. She then invited Bridge the Gap represented by Anand Purohit to present. His presentation described the club:

  • There is a partisan divide in politics

  • Both sides of the political isle aren't having a good dialogue

  • Cited Statistics, for example, 7% of Republicans have a lot Democrat friends and 6% of

    Democrats have a lot of Republican friends

  • We have conservatives on campus who feel silenced, cited an article in The Clara

  • The club would create an opportunity to foster a dialogue

  • Weekly meetings on controversial topics, like Conservative Feminism, Religious

    Environmentalism, Social Justice and the free market, etc.

  • Would work with groups on campus, Democrats and Republicans and have a broad

    range of viewpoints

  • VP would be Marley Dunne

  •  President would be Anand Purohit

  • Faculty Advisor would be Professor Scott LaBarge

  • Secretary would be Jeff Toschi

  • Professor LaBarge would train officers how to facilitate dialogues

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Bridge the Gap Club.
Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - There is a bridge the gap ad hoc committee. How would this club function together with the committee?

Answer - Bridge the Gap would be a distinct entity.
Sophomore Senator David Warne - Would the club be similar to Difficult Dialogues and Cafe Socrates? There are also classes and there are meetings put on by the cultural centers.
Answer - We would be different from those meetings because we would directly go to other clubs and groups and we would have club members set the agenda.
At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - Difficult dialogues does coordinate with clubs.
Answer -I have spoken to people who don’t feel that that is working
At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - We have an ad hoc committee called bridge the gap, how would this be different?
Answer -We would have dialogues that occur on a more regular basis
At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - Do you think there is space for you in all of the other clubs and organizations that create political dialogues?
Answer -There is a large group of students who aren’t involved and we would bring in people outside of established clubs. We need more to be done.
Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonnell - Why did you include a minimum 2.0 GPA?
Answer - Education is first and we do not want to inhibit a students education. It is not a cut off for intelligence.
Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonnell - Do you think that this could exclude people?
Answer - No, we would like people to have time for school and make that their first priority

At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - Could the club become biased? How will you keep it
neutral?
Answer -We will have neutral officers and LaBarge will train us. Professor Chris Bacon also offered to help us facilitate dialogues.

At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - Couldn’t the leaders of current clubs just organize among themselves?
Answer -That isn’t happening so this is a platform for the dialogue to occur.

 

Skills for Good RSO Proposal

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Bridge the Gap and Anand Purohit for his presentation. She then invited Skills for Good represented by David Traver, Stephen Hua, Jessica Andzouana, Parker Allen, and Ryan Zimmel to present. Their presentation described the club:

  • It will be a think tank and incubator for micro projects geared towards social impact

  • We will have diverse members and we will let students apply classroom skills to the

    real world

  • Members must apply and interview

  • We will select members off of motives

  • We will meet weekly on Monday at 6 PM in Lucas Hall

  • We plan to do two projects per quarter

  • We will first brainstorm problems and then agree on a project cause and solution. We

    will then present it.

  • Projects can be tangible and intangible and we could work with an established

    non-profit

  • Examples - compost bins for off campus students and non-profits

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Skills for Good Club.
Junior Senator Victoria Linares - Do you need money?
Answer - No

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - How many prospective members do you have?
Answer -We have 40 people interested and we will have 20 to 25 people in the club.

At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - Can you give us an example of a project?
Answer - Care for the Congo no-profit and starting this club
Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - What sort of plans do you have this year? Could you join forces with RSOs on campus?
Answer - Absolutely, it depends on topic or cause.

At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - What will happen after 3 to 4 weeks?
Answer - After the cycle we will look back at the project and we will vote to continue or stop it. Members are also welcome to continue the project on their own time if we vote to drop it.

Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - Who will you present projects to?
Answer -The students in general and specific people for each project
Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonnell - Why does this need to be a club?
Answer -We are creating a team and bringing skills together

 

Coders Club RSO Proposal

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Skills for Good and David Traver, Stephen Hua, Jessica Andzouana, Parker Allen, and Ryan Zimmel for for their presentation. She then invited the Coders Club represented by Kurt to present. His presentation described the club:

  • This club is a bridge between the business school, computer science majors, and engineering students

  • We will have business students and company reps to give presentations to tell coders and engineers what businesses need and vice versa

  • 1 meeting per month, after that we will pair off in more specific groups based on student interest

Senate Chair Aly Motzel then asked the senate if they had any questions for the Coders Club.

At-Large Senator Payton Swanson - Do you have student interest?
Answer -Interest level is good
Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonnell -What sort of funding will you need?

Answer - We may need funding to have speakers come
At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - Will most of the club consist of inviting speakers?

Answer - No, we would like to do that monthly, but have student meetings more often.

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel thanked the Coders Club represented by Kurt for for his presentation. She then addressed the Senate and asked for comments on whether voting should be held on all RSO proposals or just specific ones. She noted that we could have SAC review clubs and reach out with further questions and vote next week.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - I have looked through the current RSO roster and no current clubs that overlap with the proposed clubs as of now, with the exception of Bridge the Gap. I recommend voting tonight on as many as we can.
At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - Can we wait on Bridge the Gap? There isn’t enough current participation in our existing groups, do we need another club?
At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - We have enough avenues for dialogue as of right now and Anand Purohit hasn’t spoken to the clubs ye.
Senior Senator Thayne Kollmorgen - Have some of you reached a conclusion on how you would vote?
At-Large Senator Payton Swanson - Bridge the Gap would just be a club to talk. It can’t hurt us and it might make us look bad.
At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - I could vote, but as a head of a political group on campus, I want to talk to Professor LaBarge to ensure that it will stay neutral. I would like to vote next week.
Sophomore Senator David Warne - In regard to Erik’s concern about the ad hoc committee Bridge the Gap, this club could take on the task and ASG could step back.
Senior Senator Gerome Yabut - I agree with Payton and Bjorn, students are the driving force, I don’t think that this club would hurt the campus dialogue.
Junior Senator Jack Codiga - Anand Purohit showing the left wing clara article and using statistics on partisanship showed he could have a neutral discussion.
Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - This could be a neutral meeting ground because some students don’t want to be labeled by going to a specific political club.
Sophomore Senator Helen Kassa - We shouldn’t compare it to the ad hoc committee because this club could do more than we can.
At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - I would like to gather more information, but we should move into voting.
Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We will table it and let SAC review and Thayne reach out to Professor LaBarge. She then asked for comments on other RSO proposals.
Senior Senator Amy Monzon - We can reach out to clubs before we vote.
Sophomore Senator Duncan McDonnell - I’m not clear on the Skills for Good Club’s purpose. At-Large Senator Payton Swanson - You can make that argument for any club charter, but they want to improve the campus.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - I’m not clear on who they present their projects to. Sophomore Senator Helen Kassa - It looks more like a platform to gather skills and do things for the good of the campus.
Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - It is a very broad club and I would like specifics. I am with a club called Santa Clara Innovation and Design that creates projects for companies or competitions in many disciplines.
Sophomore Senator Helen Kassa - It is a small group because they want to do specific things. At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - We have a ton of RSOs and each RSO makes the money pool smaller, if they had a more direct focus they could find a niche on campus. Each club gets 300 dollars.
At-Large Senator Rahaima Choudry - We can table it, but I don’t have a problem with the club proposal.
Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We will reach out to them with questions and table it for voting next week. Does anyone have more commentary on other clubs?
Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - In regards to the Golf Club, I think it might need money to provide clubs for people to use.
Sophomore Senator David Warne - We don't have to provide everyone with the tools to join a club, like a computer club does not have to provide computers
Senior Senator Amy Monzon - I saw it as becoming a SCU club team. They are just organizing a way to play, not teaching people how to play.
Junior Senator Victoria Linares - I want to feel comfortable giving money.
Senior Senator Jelly Fuentes - I don’t feel comfortable excluding people, I think we would need to provide them with funding to let anyone play.
Sophomore Senator David Warne - We can’t expect clubs to furnish anyone who wants to join with with supplies.
Senate Chair Aly Motzel - RSOs are meant to bring people together.
Senior Senator Thayne Kollmorgen - They will bring people to the golf course by getting group rates
Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk - A lot of golf clubs have rental sets and they could use fundraiser proceeds to rent clubs.
Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Is there anymore discussion we should have on other RSO proposals?

Sophomore Senator David Warne - I didn’t think that the Coders Club had enough solid planning to vote on it yet.
Senate Chair Aly Motzel - We will table it and reach out to him to answer any questions we have.

Sophomore Senator David Warne - I don’t see the pool club as needing an RSO charter. At-Large Senator Payton Swanson - They can make an informal club.
At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - I don’t think that the Forge Garden needs a club. They already have a charter from the school and receive funding and publicity that way.

At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - Forge Garden has backing and the sustainability department wants this to happen to get more students involved.

At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - Can they really get more students involved?
At-Large Senator Nithya Vemireddy - I think we should back a club that will get students involved
At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - I still feel this is unnecessary.
At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - In regards to the Pool Club, they don’t need an RSO, they can do this without the money or the status.
At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - They need an RSO to access other RLC’s and have official recognition on campus,including tabling and recruiting.
Senate Chair Aly Motzel - Can they table if they aren't RSOs Ted?
Faculty Advisor Tedd Vanadilok - No.
Senior Senator Thayne Kollmorgen - Can we create a RSO that doesn’t need money then?

Senate Chair Aly Motzel - That is a SAC and RSO decision, APB can create events to bring RLCs together
At-Large Senator Payton Swanson - I want to wait on voting for the Golf Club then because if we could create an RSO program that did not require money, I would prefer to use that.

At-Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring - We can let them table while they are a prospective RSO and we can let them wait and then write the bylaw.
Sophomore Senator David Warne - I think that money free RSOs should stay on campus and not have expenses and the Golf Club does not fit that so we should vote on their charter tonight.

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked for a motion to vote on approving the Golf Club RSO Proposal. The motion to vote was made by At- Large Senator Erik Echeona and seconded by Sophomore Senator David Warne . The motion passed and the Golf Club became an RSO.

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked for a motion to vote on approving the Forge Garden Club RSO Proposal. The motion to vote was made by At- Large Senator Bjorn Thyrring and seconded by Sophomore Senator Helen Kassa . The motion passed and the Forge Garden Club became an RSO.

 

6. EXECUTIVE BRANCH UPDATES

Public Relations VP Maggie Hurlbut announced that she working this week and next week on the website and needs everyone in Senate’s profile pictures emailed to her. She also noted that everyone needs to follow the ASG Instagram and like the Facebook page. She is also working on a calendar. She said that one of the committee;s missions this year is to publicize your good work so senators should talk to them if they want something highlighted.

 

Community Development VP Elena Radding announced that they are making a changes to first year chair position.She is also looking for collaboration with SVLG and had a walk-about around off-campus housing to talk about code enforcement.She also announced that Lester Deane will give a talk during week 7. She said that Tarren is meeting with local schools to keep relations with the schools near us on good terms.

 

Finance VP Ben Rhoades announced that office hours are 1:30 to 3:00 PM on Mondays and Wednesdays . He also pointed out that senators have 10 days after purchase to get a reimbursement.They are hiring an office manager.

 

Chief Justice Rachel Brooke Herzog announced that the newest bylaws are online and continually updated. She also asked every senator to read the bylaws she handed out. She will be holding a Tenant rights workshop this quarter to help people understand their rights as a renter.

 

Vice President Sam Perez announced that ASG is making its own sexual assault video with funding from donors. The goal is to replace the current film You Can’t Thread a Moving Needle . She is working with the theater department, told the senate that they can help after reaching out to her or Annie Martin. She is continuing the Bridge the Gap ad hoc committee. She reminded the Senate that their retreat is October 20th to the 22nd and that first year elections are coming up and that we should encourage our friends to run for election.

 

President Jack Herstam announced that there is a position on the Dining Services Advisory Board and that if anyone is interested they should contact him. The meetings would occur on Wednesday October 11th from 3:00 to 4:30 PM, January 4 from 3:30 to 5:00 PM, and May 3 from 3:30 to 5:00 PM. He is also working with ASG Faculty and Staff Partners to help ASG achieve its goals.

 

7. COMMITTEE UPDATES

COMM - We are investing in a tent for Be Heard and are working on adding a bylaw for bi-weekly Be Heard.
CUIC - There will be a Unity 4 info meeting on Monday October 3rd at 6:30 PM. We are also organizing a Bronco Ball for all CSOs on November 3rd.Sunday October 8th is the first Red Cup Pick Up.

FOC - Working on creating digital art classes, amending RLC door hours, a new student interests survey to connect students with RSOs and CSOs, getting compost bins for off campus students and getting your access cards on your phone. Helen Kassa will be forming an ad hoc committee to work on getting free public transport for students.
SAC - At-Large Senators have 20 liaisons and class senators will have 25. They funded two small requests and discussed a $1,000 request. There will be have six more RSO presentatations next week.

 

8. NEW BUSINESS

 

Senate Conduct and Bylaw Presentation
Chief Justice Rachel Brooke Herzog and Parliamentarian Paul Armstrong gave a Senate Conduct and Bylaw Presentation. The presentation is attached. The presentation focused on this years changes to senator office hours. Paul will send out a google doc to fill out weekly office hours. Senators can no longer use meetings as office hours. Paul also will send out an email asking all senators to confirm their club affiliations. Paul and Rachel asked if there were any questions.
At-Large Senator Erik Echeona - In regards to conflicts of interest, can senators vote on decisions that will affect clubs that they are a part of?

Answer - As of right now you can vote on issues, but we will be looking into the bylaws to confirm.

 

Senate Recording Discussion
Senate Chair Aly Motzel announced that recordings of Senate meetings are currently illegal

under California law and that we would have conversation about recording ASG meetings.

 

8. OLD BUSINESS

 

No old business to discuss.

 

9. ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

Sustainability Projects
At-Large Senator Kayla Williams - Right now Scoop Carbon Neutrality and CSIF task forces are looking for an ASG member. She said want people appointed by next week and asked senators to reach out to her if they are interested.

 

10. ROLL CALL

 

Pro-Tempore Sam McNeal took roll at 9:30 PM.

 

11. ADJOURNMENT

 

Senate Chair Aly Motzel asked for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Adjournment was approved by At-Large Senator Kayla Williams and seconded by Junior Senator Rory Pannkuk . Aly called the September 28, 2017 meeting of the Santa Clara University Senate to a close at 9:30 PM.